Roger and Debra moved to Southwest Florida in 1995 where we successfully ran a business and raised our daughter, Caroline. After she moved away to go to college and then settled in St. Petersburg, Roger and Debra made the decision to retire and relocate somewhere closer to her. After visiting the Springhill/Brooksville area, we fell in love with Brooksville's "hometown,old Florida" atmosphere. We were lucky enough to find a home within Brooksville that also offered us an opportunity to meet people and discover the community. We look forward to learning more about the area and getting to know everyone as if they were family.
History of the Dolan House (originally the Ederington House)
The Ederington family were original pioneers in Hernando County. Colonel Francis Ederington originally moved to Hernando County from South Carolina in 1851. They brought livestock, farming equipment and household goods, traveling through rough land with poor roads. Colonel Ederington bought Chinsegut Hill and the surrounding 160 acres for farming and timber. He and his wife, Precious Ann had ten children, most of who were born at the plantation.
Both Ederington and his wife died while still in their 40s: Francis in 1866 and Precious Ann in 1869. Their eldest daughter, Charlotte was left to care for her siblings and the estate. In 1871, she married Dr. James Russell Snow, listed
as a dentist, also from South Carolina. Snow had served in the Confederate Army in South Carolina, working as a surgeon. They made Chinsegut their home and renamed the estate Snow Hill, having seven children of their own, as well as raising Charlotte’s younger siblings.
The Dolan House is entering its second century. It was originally built during the late 1890's by Francis Ederington Jr, son of Colonel Francis H. Ederington and Precious Ann Nevitt Ederington. Frank Jr. was born in 1863 and according to census records lived here from 1910-1940. He married a woman named Carrie in 1904, but they had no children. He was a citrus grower and farmer.
For more about Chinsegut Hill go to: http://www.hernandohistoricalmuseumassoc.com/chinsegut_history.html